Tuesday 26 November 2019

Rough Trade Session


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P32tdGuYEiY

A beautiful sunday morning with all plans leading to a riverside cycle and pub lunch had to accommodate a local twitch when a photo of a juvenile Rough-legged Buzzard at Chain Corner was posted on the local What's App group.  I was there in 15 minutes and after a check of suitable spots I found the very smart bird, which took a short flight back to the low hedge and allowed a fantastic 20 minutes of views.  I'd been able to drink the bird in fully, my best ever views of one of my favourite raptors and was able to return within my hour window - some good going.








The previous week I'd taken a few hours out at Welney where, in the last warm hours of sunlight, Tree Sparrows were starting to nest build in the eaves of the visitor centre.


Out on the washes there were plenty of waders to enjoy with 1000's of Black'wit on the islands and Ruff, Redshank, Dunlin, Curlew and Snipe adding some variety.  Herons were noteworthy as Cattle, Great White and Little Egrets were all present and a Bittern did a fly past before  making a sprawling plunge into the reeds at Friends Hide.  The last of the years Common Darters were making the most of the weak warmth but I couldn't find any Willow Emerald, which I have seen into November in recent years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting on Ely10 Birding.