Tuesday 26 November 2019

Paradise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G4isv_Fylg

A very dull and dreary Saturday morning was brightened by the prospect of seeing Cambridgeshire's first living Pallas's Warbler.  I remember vividly, back in the day - 1998,  being sat in my car outside the mirror clad English Nature (as it was) offices in Peterborough waiting to pick my wife up after work and getting a pager message - Pallas's Warbler picked up dead at English Nature Offices, Peterborough - flown in to window. Close but no cigar.  21 years on and a result, an early start paying off with really good views of the gorgeous sprite before 8am at Paradise Nature Reserve, a charming tangle of willow and fen pond alongside the river in Cambridge.  A dead battery in the SLR and some rubbish finger work, which meant I took a rubbish photo of branches at the start and finish of what looked like some reasonable phonescoped video, meant I left with only my memories.  I saw Simon Stirrup after the initial sightings and hoped he'd get some photos of the bird to share but the sprite did a dissappearing act until the afternoon.  However I have taken a cheeky snip of Neil Bramwells picture from the Cambridge Bird Club photos.


It'd be great if the bird winters, the habitat should certainly provide enough aphids until the frosts kick in.  Another chance to spend some time with the bird would be much appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting on Ely10 Birding.