Friday 28 December 2018

Golden Slumbers

 
 
At our birders pub meet up Mark G told us about a big old flock of Golden Plover using the fields opposite the Rowing Club along Queen Adelaide Way and these made a nice focal point for my first stop on a potter around Ely Wildspace.  There were over a thousand birds roosting, usually vigilant and flighty, these birds were settled and tolerant of both traffic and walkers along the flood bank.  On the Beet Pits a hunch to check the geese all the way around the pools revealed 2 White-fronted Geese looking particularly dinky accompanying the Greylags. 
 
 
Walking the scrub and woodlands was pleasant but not bird filled.  I was hoping to track down a Chiff-chaff or 2 but so far this winter they are continuing to elude me.  I have been concerned that the removal of a key area of scrub next to the insect rich filter beds inside the Sewage Works compound would now make this a perilous and unsuitable feeding area for our hardy phylloscs - I fear I was right but would love and hope be proved wrong if and when we get a cold snap.  Winter Thrushes were evident and I never tire of watching boldly marked Redwings eat their way around a berry laden hawthorn.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting on Ely10 Birding.