Thursday 27 December 2018

At The River

 
A Slavonian Grebe took up a week's residence on the River Cam in early December and showed very well for much of its stay.  Unfortunately it didn't hang on until the weekend and after enjoying the Rough-legged Buzzards we had a fruitless walk along the riverside looking for the vermillion eyed little diver.  I had planned to take the kids out to Wicken the following weekend but sniffles and colds precluded this so I headed out alone.  Before I arrived at Wicken I got a message that the Slav had moved up river and was at Kingfishers Bridge, I swiftly detoured.  The dashing grebe showed really well but the sun was always in front of me making photographs a bit tricky.



 
 
 
At Wicken the sun burned brightly as it fell to the horizon, late afternoon here is always a treat with the spectacle of high density bird movements across the skies as Gulls, Geese, Starlings and Corvids all make their way to their varying roost sites.  A couple of silver male Hen Harriers came into roost, one very close to the  boardwalk, my camera had worked it's way around to some daft aperture priority so some odd images were made.  Impressionistic would be a generous description.
 
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting on Ely10 Birding.