Thursday 24 December 2020

Stone Free


A lovely bright blue sky led me to Fordham Woods, I love this little reserve - it's flooded umderstorey and gnarly tangles of timber makes me think of Dagoba, the planet Luke Skywalker finds Yoda on in Empire Strikes Back.  Today I kept finding little Christmas painted stones around the boardwalk, I enjoyed them.  I enjoyed even more seeing Marsh Tits, I thought they may have been lost in this wood with only a pair or two ever having established themselves.  I haven't seen any here for over a year so it was a pleasure to watch a couple of birds feeding and seeming thoroughly at home.


Amongst the Goldfinches feeding on the Elders a few Siskins, twisting around amongst the few leaves remaining on the trees.

On the way back from the Dusky Warbler last week I stopped off at Stretham to look for a pack of White-fronted Geese that had loosely joined a herd of wild swans.  I counted 12 but there had been 13 reported , part of an influx that I thought would have brought many more onto the Washes.  For the first year in many there haven't been any Tundra Been Geese on the Washes either.  Hopefully one for the New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting on Ely10 Birding.