Friday 12 June 2020

Shine On

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZWVO2NME20&app=desktop

During lockdown I upgraded my moth trap to a big diy Robinson.  I wussed out a bit and bought the electrics complete online but it still came in about a 3rd the price of a packaged trap.  Long and short though I am now getting a better rate of Moth fun in the garden with zero casualties (midgies aside) thus far. The Hawkmoths are always exciting, like the Eyed Hawkmoth above, but I continue to wade through the fine lines and kidney marks of the noctuids and enjoy the more colourful and characterful moths as they turn up.

Cinnabar

Chocolate Tip

Buff Tip


Scorched Wing


A moth highlight was finding a Broad Bordered Bee Hummongbird Hawkmoth at Brandon Country Park.  I had a hunch the flowers in the walled garden might attract them but on arrival it was shut.  With the aid of the scope my hunch proved worthy but I hope that next year I can return and find one to drink in up close.


A new Dragonfly appeared in the garden, a fresh Scarce Chaser which alighted amongst the umbellifers surrounding the pond.  A bit of a surprise that one.....


Simon Stirrup sent some fantastic images of the Azure and Large Red Damselflies at his pond and of a Grass Snake that has also been visiting - all cracking stuff.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting on Ely10 Birding.