Thursday 30 September 2021

Blue


During the last week of August and into September I started a bit of a campaign to lure the near mythical Clifden Nonpareil to the garden.  First off Evie made some moth lure from a recipe in her WildTimes (RIP YOC) from the RSPB, I added some red wine and we daubed it across the boughs of the fruit trees.

I then made a seperate concoction of fermenting plums, molasses and red wine which I thought might just increase the chances of bringing a blue underwing to the light.

I was only a few days into my campaign with my light running and the fruity booze lure plated up when the incredible happened.  I routinely go out hourly to the light until I go to bed, my last check at midnght on the 7th Sept had me literally dancing for joy.  There in the torch light on the white sheet I place under the trap was the stone and cobalt form of a Clifden Nonpareil, I was ecstatic and shaking when I popped a tupperware box over the beast and brought it inside.  I kept it in the fridge and a few Ely folk, who could, had a look before it made it's bid for freedom and departrd into the warm Elysian evening air.

It was a week of wonders as the pull of the White Tailed Plover became too much to resist.  Having arrived at my adolescent haunt of Blacktoft Sands, East Yorkshire on the 26th during our monstorous Sheringham seawatch, this fantastic looking bird is still present a month on.  Really enjoyed spending time watching it over a special sunday morning visit.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting on Ely10 Birding.