Friday 1 January 2021

Where You Bean?

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XelDCDRnboE&list=PL56zyP290Gk2tJBpWHhF3GEQsXgcbuQdd

Barely had the ink dried, or code published, on my xmas eve post and a dozen Bean Geese turned up at Four Balls Farm, joining the large flock of wild swans.  I was able to use some maize cover to get close and in the frozen morning light the condensing vapour from each bugling swan drifted across the flock.  There were a few White-fronts with them and some Bewick's too, you may be able to pick these up in the videos.

Even closer to home, as tier 4 covid restrictions started here on Boxing Day, a Great White Egret finding the Ely water meadows to it's liking and the ringtail Hen Harrier still roosting at the Beet Pits.  The roost creating quite a bit of interest and early morning counts revealing up to 18 Marsh Harriers leaving the roost (Sergio and Mark P).



Yesterday I had yet another look at the Sewage Works to look through the passerines.  I had been loitering for quite some time around the fence looking over the stinky filter beds.  It has become more difficult to watch the wintering Chiffchaffs since the Elders in the centre of the works have been removed but my ear quickly recognised the peeping quality of a Siberian Chiffchaff calling, I managed to activate the voice recorder on my phone and get some audio of it, the bird itself showed well for about a minute and looked just right for a tristis - it was still present today but not forthcoming enough for me to get a photo.  The sonogram shows a fairly monotone call "peep" but with some upward slurring which I think can be heard but doesn't show the down slur of collybita.   


After the sewage works I popped down to the harrier roost where the ringtail showed really well and the resident Chinese Water Deer was grazing up on the bank.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting on Ely10 Birding.