Monday 15 January 2018

Weekender

 
We spent a lovely weekend on the Norfolk coast in late November.  It was cold and overcast for much of the time but with an extra layer or 2 the girls were ok.  At Cley the highlight was the 80 strong flock of Snow Buntings, ever mobile, a flurry across the shingle and grazing marsh.

 

 
At the visitor centre I got talking to a chap about Gull ID as there was a scope set up looking out to the loafing gulls on the pools, it turned out to be the exhibiting artist Steve Cale.  As I have one of his pictures  of a Woodcock flying out through woodland on my office wall I enjoyed the connection and we did talk for longer than was reasonable with the kids eager to be amused somewhere else. 
 
 
Leaving the girls to tea and cake at the café, I enjoyed the last half hour of the day taking in the sights and sounds of the seawall at Titchwell.  Marsh Harriers were virtually flocking with over 20 in the air at one point, there were lots of geese grouping before taking to their roost flights onwards to Scolt Head and The Wash.  The sky turned to deep peach, purple ad pink - gorgeous.
 
 
 
Next morning I was out before sunrise and enjoyed dawn along the same stretch of seawall.  It was cold and bright and blustery and a Black-headed Gull followed me optimistically hoping for an easy hand out.  I would have shared any food I'd brought with me but I had a plan to build up an appetite for breakfast back at the cottage so my pockets were bare and the gull's optimism slowly waned.  
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting on Ely10 Birding.