Saturday 8 August 2015

Another Gull, Another Planet

There are a few flooded fields around the Chittering/Dimmock's Cote area at varying levels of saturation.  The tastiest looking flood is viewable from the riverside walk near the Lazy Otter Pub adjacent to the A10, wader wise it is starting to gather some momentum with 28 Ruff, 7 Dunlin (inc 1 fresh juv), 4 Green Sandpiper, Greenshank, 2 Ringed Plover and a Little Ringed Plover yesterday evening.  I didn't see the Wood Sandpiper of the past few days and I was also far too late to enjoy the previous evenings  moulting Black Tern.  What I did see was the makings of a Gull roost that unsurprisingly, given our location and the late summer build up of numbers, contained a reasonable proportion of Yellow-legged Gulls.  Below are some of the birds present amidst the Lesser-black Backs, always offering some level of challenge I have labelled these with what I think is within the gulls, you may not agree. 

With the lure of migrating waders and wetland birds and the chance to pick through Gulls too I shall be heading back here with some frequency as, I guess, will many others as it's probably the best bit of wader habitat in Cambs at the moment.

1 x ad YL Gull

1x 2CY and  1x 1CY YL Gull here I think
 

1x 1CY YL Gull

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting on Ely10 Birding.